Wednesday, 25 June 2008

How To Fix Your Wet Cell Phone

The first thing you should do when your phone comes into contact with water is to remove the battery.
Never try to turn it on just to see if there is any life in the phone. Your first priority is to remove all the moisture from the phone before you reconnect the power thus minimizing the risk of a short circuit.

Most of the damage in the cell phone is done by a short circuit caused by leaving the battery in the cell phone. Of course, the water can damage the LCD, but I found out that if there is no power going to any circuits on the phone, the likelihood of damage to the circuitry is virtually non-existent.

Once the battery is removed the phone will need to be dried out. If the phone was dropped in salt water, (yes one who had a little too much to drink and fell overboard, cell phone in hand) the salt water must be rinsed out and then proceed to drying.
I recommend using compressed air. If no compressed air is at hand then grab a hair dryer and use the cool air to blow out as much water as possible.

After you have blown out as much water as you can, let the cell phone dry naturally by leaving it in a dry sunny place or place your phone in the oven, on 175 F temperature for 4-5 hours. (Remember, do not put the cell phone battery in the oven it may be dangerous.)

You can also try and accelerate the drying process in a number of different ways. Try using some of those desiccated granules sacks that are usually in the bottom of the box that your new phone arrived in with.

Now if you don't happen to have them lying around then a cheap and handy alternative is dry rice. Put your phone in a bowl surrounded by dry ice. It will absorb the moisture from the phone.

Once your phone is done replace the dry battery. If you bought a new battery the better. At this point you may or may not try to power the phone up. I recommend that you plug it into a charger for a while to get a full charge then power it on.

All of the tips mentioned do require a little patience and a little bit of ingenuity but they all have the same result which is thoroughly drying out your phone before reconnecting the battery.

Now here is another handy tip. If your phone dropped into a liquid while switched on you may well find that the battery has become unserviceable. Try and load a battery that you know is working into your phone before giving up hope altogether.

If you have tried all of the above tips and the phone is still not working then I'm afraid that your phone may be beyond repair. You could take it to a repair center but this will cost you. It's often more cost effective to replace the phone.

But don't lose hope. You can get some money out to buy your new cell phone by trading your cell phone for recycling. Sometimes it is possible to make a lot of money out of cell phone recycling that you can use to buy a costlier cell phone than the previous one, you owned.
A few of my friends have tried this and they are now recycling a lot of phones by collecting phones that cannot be fixed and recycling them.
Online Marketing at Blog Directory | Submit to Directories and Promote your Blogs

No comments: